The data presented in the spreadsheet show the effect of factors that influence and cause obesity in children in the target area. Childhood obesity has been taken to be a dependent variable since that is directly affected by independent variables like:
- Physical activity. This is the primary independent variable in that it has the greatest impact on the dependent variable.
- Dietary patterns are a huge determinant variable in the fact that the majority of the kids in the case study consume foods that have a surplus in caloric content.
- Family and environmental factors are considered in this case study because they are the most determining factor in a child’s weight.
These factors are considered to be independent since they can be manipulated to affect the outcome of the analysis. The factors were selected because they were chosen for the analysis as they directly impact the rate of the increase in childhood obesity.
Methods of Data Collection
The data was collected by different methods. They included:
2. Direct observations
The rate of increase of obesity in kids is on the rise because of lack of physical activity. Many kids are neglecting physical extracurricular activities and prefer more indoor activities like video games. These activities are not physically demanding and as a result, there is less calorie expenditure and increase in weight related disorders like obesity. This lack of calorie expenditure, according to the data gathered, is among the leading contributors of childhood obesity. Others like dietary patterns follow closely since more and more families do not pay attention to the quality of the food intake (American Obesity Association, 2005).
With 95 percent confidence, I believe that the leading cause of childhood obesity is the lack of physical activity. With the analysis conducted, I intend to show how all this independent variable influence childhood obesity.
Childhood obesity is taken to be the dependent variable since it is the main factor under analysis. Obesity is the factor that is affected by the other factors like physical activity, family and environmental factors, and dietary patterns. It is considered unfair for an analysis to be conducted having two variables and in effect would be ineffective. A dependent variable is a measure of the independent variables and is therefore totally reliant on it. Independent variables are the factors that one has control over and they can be manipulated. They affect the dependent variable during data analysis.
Definition of Terms
- St.dev means standard deviation which is used to describe how much a data value has strayed from the mean.
- Mu is an abbreviation that is used to symbolize a variable or an invariable.
- Mean is a term used to describe the average of the numbers from an analysis.
- Cl is an abbreviation for the term confidence level. This is how accurate the data collected is.